Monday, October 22, 2012

RIC celebration

My Aunt Beverly

President Carriuolo, Dr. Sidorkin, and RI History of RI



















Wow what a busy two weeks it has been! Let me begin with a very special evening.  Last Tuesday night I was invited to RIC to speak to a group of pre-service teachers and to celebrate my accomplishments. It was so good to be back at my old stomping grounds--the very place I started this amazing journey.  In my years at RIC I had many great teachers but one teacher has been a true life changer, Paul Tiskus.  He pushed me to be the very best I could be and instilled in me the work ethic, determination, and critical thinking skills that are so important in my teaching.  President Nancy Carriuolo was so gracious to invite my family and friends to celebrate and the dean of education Sasha Sidorkin was also very hospitable. Colleagues and family celebrated the night with me.  This was a memorable night and I am lucky to have been invited.

Saturday night my husband, daughter, and I attended a fundraiser celebrating the 40th anniversary of the DaVinci Center. The DaVinci center located in Providence is a neighborhood, multi-purpose, social agency servicing all ages in the North End.  They have many programs including: dropout prevention, GED classes, CCRI credit classes, CNA classes, and many more.  The president and founder John Deluca is a true inspiration working relentlessly with youth in the community. My husband is a product of this center and is a true success story now the Chief Accounting Officer at State Street Global Bank--just a kid from Charles street. The keynote speaker was Mr. Ray DiPasquale, President of CCRI. He pointed out that of all current 9th grade students only 70/100 will graduate from a four year college.  He applauded community centers as a gateway for teens and adults to earn a college degree.
Chris Waters and John DeLuca

Mackenzie and Chris Waters









Coming up:
Tonight I had an interview with Providence Business News so look out for that.
On November 6th I will speak to the Adult Basic Education class at Bristol Community College in Attleboro.




No comments:

Post a Comment